Thursday, June 21, 2012

Gooooldberg Gooooooldberg

GOLDBERG'S BACK BABY


Now that my painful attempt at humor is out of the way, let's get to the meat and potatoes. Or carrots. Or maybe just a nice salad. I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to keep this blog open and friendly for everyone who wants to read it. After all, I'm probably gonna convert it to something else eventually. But on to Goldberg/Bird By Bird part Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo!

I've talked about how much I like Goldberg before in my blog, I agree with a vast majority of what is said. I despise reiterating myself, I dislike saying the same things over and over again. Goldberg does a fine job of teaching students the best way for them to find their own creativity. Yes, these are lessons, but they aren't the juvenile memorization of a High School history class. They're personal, allowing students to work to become the best that they can be. Whether she does it by way of Samurai or by telling students to be truthful to themselves, her lessons WORK.

The "claim your writing section" was actually incredibly powerful for me. You see, I often have trouble believing that my writing is any good. Look at the poetry packet, I saw it as dreadful drivel (I apologize for all alliteration) and it got a perfect score. Though that might have to do with me not enjoying the writing of poetry. My fiction packet feels much better in my head, which makes me think that it will do poorly. It's... not ironic, that's something else entirely... oxymoronic maybe? Eh, whatever.

Bird by Bird part Deus Ex Human Revolution was less special to me. It hit me less hard, it felt harder to apply to myself than Goldberg. While Anne obviously has more than a few good ideas, they just don't feel quite the same to me. I believe it may have something to do with how she gets down to writing. She deals with K-Fucked, does the whole prayer schtick. But that's not how I operate. I sit down, I think for a couple minutes to get inspiration, then I write. I don't deal with self-loathing, I don't even think about myself. I think up a story, and I put it on paper, and I win awards and get tons of money.

Ok, so maybe I don't get awards and money.

YET.

But I do have a much different process of writing. And it makes it harder for me to connect. I dunno, maybe I'm just putting things into my head differently than I should. I'll give reading this another go before I'm forced to bring it back to Ned's. Maybe I'll catch the words a bit different this time.

1 comment: